Friday, May 18, 2007

Is the US Government Running Out of Money?

Our local newspaper this morning carried an interesting column by Debra J. Saunders of the San Francisco Chronicle discussing a new novel called "Boomsday".

Now I'm not the type of person who regularly comments about novels, any novels, because I'm a true non-fiction fan myself. But sometimes fiction can make an important humorous point that would otherwise go unnoticed, because every day living, and government statistics, really can be boring and dull.

Enter "Boomsday".... the day that Baby Boomers, like me, start retiring in droves. What will happen to the economy? How will the US Government pay for all the retirement benefits that have been promised to my generation?

I won't spoil all the fun... and some of the authors projections are clearly preposterous... but the humor in this new novel may cause you to take a serious look at the economic situation we all face... and that's no laughing matter at all.



No comments: